Friday, November 8, 2013

NaNoWriMo Week 1: Kicking Butt, Making up Names, and Then Taking Them

One week down, three to go. Current word count: 43,575.

The NaNo adventure has been interesting so far, especially with my parents arriving for a visit last Saturday, but I've been able to get about 3k words every morning before hanging out with them for the rest of the day, so the word count has grown steadily throughout the week. I think somewhere around 75k is certainly doable before December 1st. I'm very pleased with the novel's progress so far. I know it will need some serious editing at the end of this Magical Mystery Tour, but the bare bones of the story look good (so far, knock on wood); skin and muscle can always be added, subtracted, and tweaked later. It's strange not editing thoroughly each day, but I've been sneaking little tastes at the beginning of my morning writing sessions, just to appease the inner editor so she will shut the hell up for the rest of day and let me drop rhymes (oh, yes, I went there, what?!). It'll be interesting to see how things go next week after my folks return to their Sunshine State abode and I'm back to writing all day again. I've been getting 3k done in about 3 hours this week. Not sure if I can (or should) maintain that pace for 9 hours. I'm not trying to write the 6th Song of Ice and Fire novel (although it would be nice if someone did)...

In other non-NaNoWriMo related news, I started reading Reality Boy by A.S. King. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet at about 90 pages in, but it's holding my interest, so we'll see. Sometimes a book takes time to grow on me. Other times, I fall right in. Same thing happens when I write too. Luckily for me, I fell right into the NaNo novel, although I still can't clearly visualize the ending. It'll come though. Always does. Just need the main character to show me the way.

End of weekend goal: break 50k. Yup, let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment