Monday, November 11, 2013

NaNoWriMo: 50k in 10 Days

Time for a NaNo update. First up: stats.
  •  Total words written for the week (4th to 10 November): 23,092
  • Started on Monday morning with 27,665 words and ended Sunday night with 50,757
I think it's safe to say this was a great week of writing for me. Though my folks were visiting (they left this morning), I still managed to average about 3.2k words every day simply by working from about seven in the morning until around 10, which was great because it left me free to hang out with my family for the rest of the time without feeling like I wasn't working enough. And though I briefly entertained the idea of trying to finish 50k in under a week after the overly abundant word frenzy that was the first 48 hours of NaNoWriMo, I think the situation created by having my parents here (keeping my word count down with a limited amount of work each day) was very beneficial, as it didn't allow me to race too far forward in the story, stumbling into territory before I was really ready. I'm still moving quickly, but I can see the path ahead of me and I've added so much to my outline that will give the finished product dimension (whenever I actually have a finished product; I foresee many serious edits in my future). I'm still going to move steadily from this point on. I did a little over 3k today and want to see the same for the rest of this week and most of the next. I have an updated goal: a finished first draft of about 75k before I leave for my parents' house on the 22nd (or 23rd) for Thanksgiving. That way I can let it sit through the remainder of the holidays and start editing it in the new year. I think that's doable, as it feels like I'm about three quarters of the way through the novel. Keeping it slow will help with some other matters, like researching, which I need to do a ton of tomorrow (over the last 11 days, I've kept a list of things that need some help and there are many). But I love research, so the joke's on you...er, me. Someone.

In other developments, where the hell did the 70 degree weather go? I'm looking at low 30's, high 20's for the rest of the week during my morning runs. Meh! I foresee some fast mile splits...or me frozen facedown in a ditch. One of the two.

And, hey, anyone want to jump on the writing buddy train? Here's my NaNo info just in case: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tess-martin-adams. If you hit me up, I'll hit you back.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's some amazing progress! I'm so far behind, it's pathetic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hey, don't get down on yourself. The fact that you're even doing NaNo at all is a win, IMHO. The words will come, just keep parking it in front of the computer (or pad of paper if you're rocking it old school) so those fingers can fly. ;)

      Delete